If music is the food of love, then what would be the food of Death? We decided to pry into the personal ears of ten Death Skateboards team riders this week to find out what their 10 favourite tracks of all time could be. Enjoy their selection as you just know that there’s going to be some top choices in here from this lot!
Photo: Rob Galpin
This song always helps put things in perspective for me. With everyone rushing around amongst the stresses and strains of modern life, people forget to love. Not physical love, but the love you have for your friends, family, pets, nature, even a sunny day maybe.
Being skateboarders, we have learned to appreciate moments, friends, fun skate sessions etc, these are the things that money can’t buy!
“….there’s nowhere you can be that isn’t where your meant to be, it’s easy”
Love from Mark.
BOOTS: ERIC PRYDZ – CALL ON ME
Do I really need to explain why I like this! The only thing that ruins it is the one dude.
RICHIE JACKSON: CRISPIN GLOVER – CLOWNLY CLOWN CLOWN
If you depart on a journey into the mind of Crispin Glover, you might never come back…
My song is Unity by Operation Ivy. I always liked this song and when I’m going skating I stick on really loud when I’m driving on my own. It gets me pumped up and ready to roll. It also makes me think of Buster Halterman’s section from the 1991 Planet Earth video Now ‘n’ Later, he killed it (and still does).
If I could skate half as good as him I’d be stoked!
ROB SMITH: BROKE ‘N’ £NGLISH – 15 STRATEGY
Sick freestyle by my mate Johnny, one of Manchester’s best MC’s with production by Chimpo- Manchester’s finest. It’s just a shame it’s filmed at Manchester United’s ground and not Manchester City’s. Haha!
ADAM MOSS: SNOOP DOGG – AIN’T NO FUN (IF THE HOMIES CAN’T GET NONE)
The track I chose is ‘aint no fun if the homies can’t have none’. It’s a classic track that’s good anytime of day and always brings the hype! It’s hard to find a better rap trio than Snoop, Kurupt and of course paying respect to the late, great Nate Dogg. R.I.P!
I chose this video as my selection because:
1. It is quite clearly the greatest song ever written.
2. It’s the most downloaded song in the world.
3. The gear that they are wearing is clearly illegal.
4. When i was in a band I always wanted to play this song.
5. I am going to see them play at Wembley arena in June.
6. The lead singer Steve Perry is the absolute spitting image of Nick who runs the Skegness skate park.
7. You would have to go a long way to find a bunch of guys with their trousers hiked up higher than that.
8. You have to respect a guy that wears a yellow leopard print shirt to every gig, especially one that doesn’t fit properly.
9. The guitarist has a blue vest that is cut off above his naval.
10. This video reminds me that I still need to visit Texas.
11. The guy in the cut off red shirt looks totally ridiculous.
12. Journey is the raddest group.
13. You should watch the ‘Steve Perry and Journey’ documentary.
14. I could quite easily listen to this song on repeat all day long and actually have done before.
15. This song always makes me feel good.
16. I think it is safe to say that these guys screwed a lot of women.
17. I couldn’t think of any better music videos.
RONNY CALOW: KID ACNE – EDDY FRESH
Now then, here is my video selection. It’s Kid Acne a fellow Sheffield resident. I love the video on this as it was all shot round these parts, most of the people in it are friends so it’s really funny seeing them on it too. If you look carefully (I’m so stoked) at 0:13 to 0:18 on this video you’ll notice a certain Ben Grove getting his groove on. (He’s the one in the blue), I still think it’s one of the funniest things ever. That boy’s got the moves right? Haha! Don’t give up the day job mate!
I could easily have picked any song by Sabbath, Hendrix or Pentagram but Mr Blue Sky is hands down my favourite song ever. It’s been my favourite song ever since I used to go and watch Birmingham City play as a kid with my old man and I still listen to it every single day.
Wherever I am in the world it never fails to remind me of home and gets me stoked out beyond belief!!
Photo: Ash Redman
If somethin’ happens in Chezzy, nothin happens…
It’s just another nigga DEAD, dead, dead, dead! Straight outta Chezzy crazy mutha frigga named Timmy Cube, from a gang called Slugga with attitude.
When I’m called off, I got a sawed off, squeeze the trigga and bodies are hauled off.
You too boi if you wanna frigg with me, Moggins is gonna have to come and get me off yo ass, that’s how I’m goin’ out, for the punk mutha fucka’s that’s showin’ out!
Nigga’s start to mumble, they wanna rumble, mix em up and cook em in a pot like gumbo.
Goin’ off on a mutha frigga like that, with a Death size 8.25 pointed at yo ass.
So give it up smooth, ain’t no tellin’ when Kennelly’s down for the jack move.
Here’s a murder rap to keep yo dancin’, with a crime record like Meadies dancin’.
T-tool is the tool, don’t make me act a mutha friggin’ fool.
Me you can go toe to toe, no maybe, I’m knockin’ nigga’s out tha’ box daily.
Yo weakly, monthly and yearly. Until the dumb mutha frigga’s see clearly.
That I’m down with the capita c-town G.
Boi you can’t frigg with me!
So when I’m in your neighbourhood, you betta duck, cus Louis Slater is crazy as frigg.
As I leave, believe I’m stompin’. But when I come back boi, I’m comin’ straight outta CHEZZY!
Visit the Death Skateboards Blogspot for all things Death this summer.